Sunday, June 6, 2010

Book Review - Deschooling Our Lives


Thanks to a new friend, who dropped this book off for me to read, I had the opportunity to peek into lives of many people who choose to learn without school as we know it. There are so many interesting views and ways for children to learn. I have been awakened further with the realization of how we (people) tend to follow society and just comply, ignorant to why we do what we do in the first place. In our current school system and our current schooled state we tend to prevent kids from reaching their potential. I can honestly say that in my life I've learned more in my adult life (following my own interests) than I did in school. So why wouldn't I want that kind of enthusiasm and efficiency in my children throughout their lives?  Through reading this book I have learned where the current ways of public schooling came from. I now realize how our parenting decisions sometimes affect how my kids learn. I recommend this book for EVERYONE. I think that we all need to know that there are other ways of learning (even if we don't intend to practice them in our homes) and of looking at our world. We need to evolve instead of being safe and changeless in our current society. 

I absolutely love to see the world in different views. I believe that it pushes my own beliefs and just makes me a better, more open minded person. I will be giving this one five stars when I review it online.

1 comment:

~Leslie said...

This sounds like a good book! Just the title piques my interest. I think it's amazing how the whole of childhood is centered around schooling. I am putting this on my list of books to read. Thanks for the review! :D