Sunday, September 26, 2010

Strange Caterpillar and butterfly

I was weeding the lawn when I noticed a caterpillar on one of the weeds. 

For the life of me I can't identify this little guy. I wish I could make the image bigger so you can see it but Blogger changed their image import. It's black, spiky, with orange markings and metallic blue spots. If you can identify it let me know. 

This is the picture of it on the plant we found it on. The plant to the left is covered in caterpillar poop. So if you live in Ontario and have weeds like this on your lawn, look for the little droppings and you may find this little guy.

Ironically, later that day this little guy was landing on me and and flying all around me. He just wouldn't leave me alone. I identified him as the Silver Spotted Skipper Butterfly. He is a deep chocolate brown colour and the markings on him reminded me of looking at islands on a map. Again, I couldn't identify him. I'm going to have to get my hands on a more complete identification guide. 

If you can help me to identify either of these, please let me know.

No comments: