Monday, July 26, 2010

Unschooling videos

I love hearing other views. I believe that it is the right of every parent to choose how their kids learn. If someone chooses to send their kids to school at three years old, I may not agree, but that is their right to choose. I think the same goes the other way around. If I choose to homeschool my kids the way I do, that is my choice. So, you see, this is only one view of unschooling in the video and I see similarities to how I think about how my kids learn. 

I am not radical all of the time and wait for them to always tell me what they want to learn. Sometimes I introduce subjects and see if there is interest, or ask them if they want to do something, or just take them on myself in front of them, or I may put a bunch of interesting items for an activity out and wait for them to be interested. No matter what, if they aren't interested or ready to sit down and learn I don't force them. The most important thing, in my opinion, is for kids to keep their curiosity for learning. Once that is lost, there isn't much room for learning of any kind.

And secondly, I believe that the more they take on or choose for them selves only adds to their confidence in their own ability to learn and follow their own flow through life. I really relate to what the father says about moments where we, as parents, go off on our teaching moments ("Well ya know... bla bla bla..."). I have seen that look from Austyn when he really couldn't care what I have to say about something. Sometimes it's fine and he loves it but others he's not and that is where I need to stop and let him be.

Keep in mind that unschooling is still new to us and we are still in the process of deschooling. Here is the video. Oh and I should mention that the musical composition at the end of this video was an improvised piece by an unschooled girl named Evelyna who was about 7 years old at the time.



Another interesting video I found on youtube is one from a woman who grew up in an unschooling atmosphere. It's so interesting to hear her words about her experiences.



1 comment:

Denise said...

LOVE that Einstein quote!
Please stop by my blog~ I have two awards for you!