Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Weekly Overview

This overview is over about a week and a half instead of just a week, but here it is! The kids went to an indoor play place to attend a friends birthday party. They had such a great time. 
Austyn decided to do a scavenger hunt one day. I sat down with him and helped him to organize what papers need to be where and to help him spell the words so that he could print onto each paper what he wanted to say. At the end was his stuffed Turkey Vulture with a note.

We found some old sparklers in the bottom of a drawer. We just had to use them. 

This is the ghostly effect I got when I played around with settings on my camera.

This is of the kids running across the yard with the sparklers. I was having way too much fun!

We attended a Veterinarian Field Trip, which couldn't have happened at a better time since we learned about cats and dogs this month and worked on some lap books.

 This is a picture of an Eastern Screech Owl in a tree at the park. The sun was getting low and this little one was waking up and getting a closer look of the playground. I can't believe Austyn spotted it. Shortly after this he also spotted a Red Tailed Hawk. When we go for drives we keep seeing hawks in the trees near the road. We spotted more Red Tailed Hawks and a Gyr Falcon.

 Zoe used my camera to take a bunch of pictures around the house. This is my favourite picture. This is Austyn with his new owl stuffed animal. It was a late birthday gift that he purchased with money he got.

We like to watch these little guys trying to find a warm place to hid for the winter. They love our back door because it's out of the wind and in full sun.

Zoe attempted to sew a dress. With my help we messed it up and had to scrap the whole project, but at least we tried and it was fun.

Shhhh... don't tell her that she can't use red thread.

Austyn made this Mega Block castle.

Austyn made this map our house and yard. He has been really into maps lately. I purchased him a curriculum workbook from the toy store and the first few pages of the geography section were on map making. That was the first thing he worked on in that book.

He made this log house in his room.

I have a tendency to purchase books and curriculum because I trust that it'll be good to have and since we unschool we don't always get to it, but this one science book I purchased seemed way too wordy and drawn out for me to work with. I decided to finally read through the first lesson (6 pages) and summarize it on a sheet in my notebook. Then I took some other resources I had around and added them to it. The first lesson was all on organization, categories, and sorting. In the picture above they are sorting random items from around our house into categories and then turning around and resorting them by other criteria, size, shape, material, texture, colour, which room they belong in etc... I think I've decided that I don't hate that curriculum after all, but that it'll just take me a bit more prep time in advanced. They both seemed to have fun and were interested for the whole time. We will continue some of these activities and books to read in the next week or two.

Zoe made another character. Here they are posing with the character.

Here they are kissing her.

Here they are admiring the kiss marks Zoe added after.

Here is Austyn's Lego Quest entry... that I didn't get in in time. The quest was on maps this week and this is his map of an island. It has a building on it and different types of vegetation.

We went to the park to call for owls since this is where we saw the owl the other day. We didn't hear any call back like they are suppose to, but maybe our imitations of owl calls weren't too accurate. When we arrived we realized that the Christmas lights were all up already and walked around to admire them. I'm sure people thought we were strange doing owl calls while walking. LOL!! The kids and I also rolled down a hill. What fun!

So there you have it. These were just a few of the things we did. Austyn did so much this week that we missed so much. I had writer's cramp from recording everything he did. One day he asked to do math and I had to cut him off for supper after three whole lessons from his math book. He really does enjoy that.

Austyn is really in to dragons and did a bunch of activities relating to his passion for dragons. Stay tuned for the next post on dragons.

No comments: