Monday, February 22, 2010

She knows what she's doing!


A couple of days ago Zoe came up to me all excited holding out a piece of paper. "Mommy! Mommy! Look! I made a perfect B!" I looked and there before me was an absolutely perfect capital letter B. It was really great, especially for a three year old. I was so excited for her and hugged her and said "Good Job!" Then I went back to my old way and asked "Do you want to practice B's? I can print some sheets off for you to practice more." She looked at me all puzzled and said "But mommy... I am practicing!"

She was SO right!! She was practicing. I can see that. She knows what she is doing and doing it in the most natural way. She took her sheet of paper back to the table and continued to make B's including a really tall B with lots of bumps on it. I'm so proud of her, and so glad that I'm learning as much from her as she is from me.

"We who believe that children want to learn about the world, are good at it, and can be trusted to do it with very little adult coercion or interference, are probably no more than one percent of the population, if that. And we are not likely to become the majority in my lifetime. This doesn't trouble me much anymore, as long as this minority keeps on growing. My work is to help it grow. "

~John Holt~ Teach Your Own

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cute! She's been working hard. :-D