Monday, December 20, 2010

Natural Math

Okay, okay... you got me! This is a completely unrelated picture! Right?! Or is it???? I mean, what is a math learning time and what isn't? Couldn't math happen at any moment? Even standing in line waiting to see Santa Clause? We grow up, going to school, and end up having this idea that math learning is something that happens when someone teaches. Don't we need worksheets?! Shouldn't we follow what our public schools are doing? What about calculators and how are kids suppose to learn everything they need to know? It doesn't just happen right? If this is what you believe, it's understandable. I use to think this way too.

I couldn't even count on my fingers and toes how many times I was asked how I teach math. People assume that I must be a math whiz. How else are my kids, suppose to learn what they need unless I'm teaching them all the math concepts that the "other" kids get taught in school? Now, I'm an honest person. I usually say that I'm TERRIBLE in math. Or at least I use to be. I explain that I learn right along with them and even after grade one I learned so much and in such a different way than I was taught in school. The expression is usually that of utter surprise or terror, on their end. Mainstream people can't seem to get their heads around the idea of not having to be taught, or even of learning something together with their kids. After all, I don't usually see myself above my kids when we learn together. We learn together even if I know more.

I'm sure your wheels may be turning by this point. You may want to ask what program we use or you may be afraid to ask if we are even using a program at all! Well, you'll be comforted to know that I do purchase a program and I have to say it is AMAZING! It's RightStart Math. Here is the website: http://www.alabacus.com/. This program, in my opinion, is the opposite of what math is in school. It's more of an Eastern way of doing math. They use manipulatives (especially an abacus) and we learn concepts slowly from one concept to another. Worksheets? Hardly any!!! Nope!! This program doesn't feel like work. It's just plain fun! There are games and we learn many ways to do each concept. Memorization isn't a big part. Instead we learn how math really happens instead of trusting that the memorization is correct and just using that. At some point we would need to know how what we memorized really happened. We learn that right up front.

One thing that may make you uncomfortable is that we only do math when the kids want to. Yes! I don't sit down and drill it into their heads. Yes! They even ask for math! Why not?! It's fun! It's hands on!! It's real life! But, speaking of real life... back to the picture. Is it related to this post? Of course! Math happens. It really happens! All the time. In the mall. At home. In the van. All day!! It can happen anywhere. Even in line waiting for Santa. How much is the picture of us with Santa going to cost? How much do we have? How much is left over? How many minutes have we been in line? What time is it? The list goes on and on.

I will share two great, real life examples of my kids doing math, all on their own, in life:

Example one: Austyn was eating supper the other night. He got quiet while eating (that's unusual for him) and then told me that he figured out, just then, that two hours is 7200 seconds. Then he went on to tell me how he came up with that answer. I didn't prompt this. He thought of it in his own head and in his own time (while he was eating supper) and because he really wanted to know this, he figured it quietly in his head.

Example two: Zoe is younger and her math is obviously much less complicated. I was reading a storybook to them while they were having their bedtime snack. It was the Franklin Classic book. I was reading along and didn't let them know that the book actually had four stories. I went from one story to the next without much of a break. Well, if you know Franklin stories you'll know that the author always starts the book in the same way "Franklin knows how to tie his shoes... bla bla bla..." Zoe noticed that I read the same intro before and commented. I let her know at that point that this book had four stories in it and I just didn't show her that we are in another story. So she said "So, that means we have already read a story and now we are reading another story and that means that after this story we have two stories left! Right mommy?!" I said that yes that would be right except that we've already read two stories and now we are on another story. And she said "Oh, so if we read two stories and are on another story there is one more story after that!"

I'm not saying that regular school kids would never do anything like this. I think this happens naturally when there is interest. That is the key! Keeping the interest is so important. I know that for me, math was dumb and I had no interest. It was something I had to do. Work! It's not this, at all, for my kids and so they do it every day without being prompted. I'm so grateful to be able to give my kids a good math experience. Sure from what other parents, who have their kids in school tell me, the math is getting more and more advanced and the kids are getting pushed ahead more and more. The fact is Austyn talks about math and many other subjects with his school friends and he is surprised time and time again that they aren't interested and they don't know what he knows. So, you may think that it's good that the kids in school in grade 3 are now doing grade 5 math but you must ask yourself "Do they like it?", "Are they really going to remember it", and "Is it good for them". Maybe you can answer yes to all of these for your own kids and that it great. I can't answer yes to these for my kids. I want them to have a great math experience in life... naturally. This remains my goal.

Happy math learning to everyone!! :)

1 comment:

Kez said...

That sounds pretty much like how we do maths. We do subscribe to an online maths program (which he does whenever he feels like it, or I get antsy that he needs to 'do some maths' lol). Other than that, its just every day maths learning through life. And yes, he will often ask questions like "If I have these clothes, what percentage of them are red?" or things like that. Its amazing!